"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Thursday 31 May 2012

Homemade Tomato Puree

There are several ways to make Tomato Puree. I chose the easier make that I have used since last 2 decades. I do buy the canned version however this recipe is useful in case I do not have much time to run to the store and is lighter than the store variety. Also it lacks all the added preservatives in the store-bought version! You can add modifications here where you can add either grated ginger or garlic or dried herbs such as oregano or parsley which will be an added flavour to your tomato puree.

Homemade Tomato Puree 

Ingredients

  • 3  medium sized, fully ripe tomatoes
  • E.g. of one tomato shown
  • 1 bowl of boiling water - just enough to cover the tomatoes
  • Salt, Sugar and Vinegar (optional)
  • Stock cubes, onions, garlic, parsley, etc for extra flavour (optional)



Method

1. Take out the eye of the tomatoes. Run the tip of the knife to make a cross at the bottom of each of the tomatoes.


Tomato crossed out and soaked in boiling water
2. Place the tomatoes in boiling water and allow the skin to wrinkle.


3. Drain and run the tomatoes through cool water. Skin the tomatoes and set aside. You can optionally leave the skin on as some prefer the skin on. You can also optionally de-seed the tomatoes and juice to allow for a thicker puree. It also makes the puree a darker red in colour if you remove the seeds and the juice.

Peeled off tomato with skin set aside
4. Grind the skinned tomatoes into a paste form. Add the same strained water used to boil the tomatoes if required to make a thinner puree, otherwise use as is.


Peeled off after soaking in boiling water
5. Boil the puree and with vinegar, salt and sugar optionally for up to 30 minutes on a low flame depending on the thickness required. 

I have not added any water to the puree and turned out to be thick as was required for one of the recipes I was set to make.

Homemade Tomato Puree



Allow to cool and then bottle or transfer to a suitable container to refrigerate.

I made mine one day in advance but this puree would last at least for 3-5 days (again depending on what you add to the mix, for e.g. if you add  vinegar, it would go on to last for weeks).

Closeup of Tomato Puree





















2 comments:

  1. Nice pictures,Thanks for sharing your great ideas with us for making Tomato Purees. This ideas really very useful and valuable for to get best and finest tomato puree.

    ReplyDelete

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"