"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Tuesday 5 June 2012

Tender Coconut Chokolat Delight

I made this recipe last year and I remember my little one was awake when I was making it however when I plated up she was fast asleep! When I was serving my husband his dessert plate, suddenly we heard a patter of feet and she came running and sat on his lap. The plate was done in a matter of few minutes and all I heard her say was mmmm...to the very end. I also got a special kiss before she went back to bed....and that was recognition enough for me :)

Tender Coconut Chokolat Delight
This recipe was creation from a distant memory of my childhood but was a lot different from what I tasted at my Granduncle and GrandAunt's home. There was no chocolate or coconut grating in that recipe. Neither was flour, etc used. I still need to ask my uncle how they made that recipe and I will make and try to post it soon after.


You need:


  • 2 cups of tender coconut pulp/extract (or extracts of 2 small tender coconuts) - diced into strands,squares or any medium sized shape as you like
  • Tender coconut water  - half a cup would do
  • Sugar - Either small granules or powdered sugar (prefer the former) - 1/2 to 1 cup depending on your taste 
  • Cocoa powder(unsweetened) or cooking chocolate(semi sweet) - 4 tbsp or melted to fit half a cup or ½ cup honey
  • Flour - about half a cup - diluted in lukewarm or boiled water brought to room temperature
  • Grated coconut (1/2 of a normal coconut, not tender coconut) - 1 cup
  • 15-20 grams unsalted or slightly salted butter - 1/4 cup - this would depend if you were going for the sweeter variety of the dessert then I would adopt the unsalted butter  - I used the slightly salted variety
  • Walnuts(optional)  - about half  palmful or 5-6 walnuts skinned and diced and/or cashews(again optional) - about 3-4 diced
  • 1 tbsp of honey or powdered sugar

The make:

Cooking Time: 40 minutes| Preparation Time: 15 minutes| Serves 4


Prepared Coconut gratings on top 
Just before going into the blast freezerr

  1. Soak the tender coconut pulp in its own juices. Set aside.
  2. Take the coconut milk extract ( http://gginaflavorspalatte.blogspot.in/2012/05/coconut-milk-extract.html). *Note: 2nd milk only 1 cup is needed not 1.5 cups as mentioned in the link.The coconut grating would still have some of its milk intact. Strain and using a spoon lightly press the coconut in the strainer. Set aside separately both the first and 2nd milk.
  3. Heat a non-stick pan with half the butter and when it starts changing colour add the grated coconut(of which the milk has already been strained) and lightly toss around till a light golden brown shade arises(takes about 5-10 mins on medium flame).  Add the buttered coconut grating to the honey/powdered sugar and mix well. Taste and see if its to your liking, else add more honey or sugar as needed. Set aside.
  4. In a separate bowl mix the cocoa or melted chocolate (always melt the chocolate in a double boiler) with the sugar and the rest of the butter and mix well (no granules should be present and you should get a smooth mix), add the first milk and mix well. *Note: If using chocolate, take the chocolate, in a small steel bowl, and place it a slightly bigger bowl filled with water, allowing the small bowl to stand in the bigger bowl and melt over medium flame. Turn off as soon as the chocolate melts and you get a smooth mix.
  5. In a separate non-stick vessel add the second milk on medium heat, when slightly warm, add the chocolate mix and blend well. Blend in diluted flour and stir well for about 5-10 mins. Add in the (optional) walnuts/cashew nuts or both (you can glaze the nuts in some butter separately on a pan also if you like before adding it in).  
  6. Lastly add the tender coconut (with its juices) to the above and mix in for about 5 mins or until heat bubbles arise. Turn off the heat and leave aside to cool for about 15 mins. Then plate it up in small serving dishes(souffle cups or pudding cups) and put it in the blast freezer(or high temp freezer) for about 20-30 mins and then top it with the prepared grated coconut. Use a cling film to wrap the cups over a serving tray so as not to have ice crusts appear on top.
Tip: If you do not like Coconut grating much, then you can also use chopped pistachios instead.

Served and tasting begun



Plating up:
You can plate up on a dessert serving plate. Lightly using a serving knife or the back end of a spoon undo the edges of the prepared choco delight and then overturn it on the plate. You will see that the grated coconut acts both as a garnish on the outer ring and as a crunch/flavour addition to the dessert. You can also add choco sauce prepared from scratch or Melba sauce for garnish and added flavour. As a flavour addition sliced mangoes, lychee or peaches would be great!

Bon Appetit…

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"