"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Thursday 22 November 2012

Veggies in Sweet and Sour Sauce

This recipe goes well with my last Chinese recipe post on Baked Rohu with toasted veggies in Fish Sauce

Veggies in Sweet and Sour Sauce served with rice

When Swapna Thomas, a successful blogger mom requested me to write a guest post for her wonderful blog, I decided what best to create than a kid-friendly recipe. Swapna's blog is for all moms and has wonderful tips and tricks for everyday activities with your precious little ones. As you know it can be tricky and troublesome to come up with unique Kid-friendly recipes for young kids/toddlers. 

A mum’s day is never done until she actually experiments recipes suited for her toddler/kid in the kitchen. With my toddler, I notice that she prefers variety be it with food or day-to-day activities. I created this recipe from scratch based on her taste buds. I am sure your toddler would love this and it’s a mom-feel good recipe too as it uses a variety of veggies.



I whipped this one up for my toddler who has off late been quite fussy with her greens and always requiring change with almost anything including her food. This recipe goes well with either Noodles or Steamed rice. I served it both with rice and noodles and there was not much of a fuss from her on this make.



Veggies in Sweet and Sour Sauce served with soft Noodles


I am sure your toddler will enjoy this meal as well. I normally add Kid-friendly recipes under labels such as Kids or Kid-friendly in my blog.




 Hope you enjoy making this one for your little one.

This is a Chinese recipe and would go well with either steamed rice or Noodles. To make this easy recipe,

You need:
·         2 carrots cut into thinly sliced cubes
·         1 potatoes cut into thinly sliced cubes (optional)
·         2 small tomatoes, chopped into cubes
·         ¼ kg French beans, chopped
·         6-8 florets of cauliflower or broccoli (optional) 
·         1 tbsp of ginger-garlic paste
·         2-3 bunches of spinach, chopped finely
·         1 capsicum, chopped into cubes
·         4-6 cloves of garlic, diced finely
·         1 onion chopped into cubes or 2-3 bulbs of spring onions diced finely
·         1 green chilli thinly sliced (optional)
·         1 tsp of paprika
·         1 tsp of black pepper (optional)
·         1 cup of filtered water
·         1 tbsp of cooking oil / olive oil
·         Salt to taste
For the sauce:
·         1 cup Homemade Tomato puree (http://gginaflavorspalatte.blogspot.in/2012/05/homemade-tomato-puree.html) or 1 cup of Tomato sauce
·         2 tbsp of soya sauce
·         ½ cup brown sugar or cane sugar
·         ½ cup vinegar


The make:
Cooking Time: 30 minutes | Preparation time: 15 minutes | Serves 6 toddlers

1.       Heat the oil in a large wok or non-stick deep bottomed skillet. Toss the onions, garlic, green chili and sauté till translucent.
2.       Next add the carrots and potatoes (optional) and sauté. Cover and cook for 10 minutes on low heat. You can also previously parboil the carrots and potatoes separately, in which case you can add it with the beans in the next step.
3.       Toss in the tomatoes and beans (broccoli/cauliflower –optional) to the carrot mix and stir well. Add the ginger-garlic paste, paprika and the salt and sauté.
4.       Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes until the veggies have glistened with colour and softened.
5.       For the sauce: In a mixing bowl, add the tomato sauce/homemade tomato puree, soya sauce, vinegar and brown sugar and stir well. Over a small skillet, heat the mixed ingredients, stir the mixed ingredients and add half a cup of water and bring to a boil. Take off the flame and add the sauce, to the veggies. If you would like a thicker sauce, you can also add some cornstarch.
6.       Add the spinach and water as required and cover and cook for another 10 minutes until all the veggies have softened and cooked. Add the remaining ½ cup of water as required and stir well.
7.       Uncover and raise the heat to medium and bring to a boil. Turn off and serve hot with noodles or steamed rice.



This is what is for lunch today. Bon Appetit!

Thank you Swapna for the opportunity to feature my recipe in your mom's favourite blog. I appreciate the invite.

Join G'Gina's Kitchenette on Facebook and you won't miss a single recipe!



No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"