"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Monday 17 December 2012

Turkey Gravy - The Christmas Specials continue

Turkey Gravy is the essence that binds the whole Turkey dinner or lunch. So you want to get it right. Remember the turkey drippings in the Turkey Delight roasting process was caught onto the roasting tray. We will use these drippings to make the gravy. The gravy is essentially a blend of the turkey drippings flavoured in the roasting process, flour, butter (optional) and additional stock (optional). The stock could be either vegetable stock (that you get during the boiling of the potatoes for the stuffing) or chicken stock or the turkey giblet stock itself that you raised during the making of the stuffing.



The gravy must be not lumpy. To make this smooth, flavourful gravy,

You need:
  • 3-5 tbsp of flour
  • 2 cups of liquid (water or stock)
  • Turkey drippings
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 100 gms of butter (optional)
  • Worcestershire sauce (optional)
  • Juice of 1/2  lemon (optional)


The make:

  1. Take off the drippings from the lukewarm roasting tray and transfer it to a skillet on a low flame. If the drippings are too little, add the butter and blend.
  2. Mix the flour with lukewarm stock or water as desired and whisk well to ensure there are no lumps. 
  3. Slowly add the flour mix to the skillet bit by bit, whisking continously to ensure there are no lumps.
  4. Add more stock or water as desired if you want the gravy to be thinner.
  5. You can add the worcestershire sauce if you would like your gravy to be browner.
  6. Add salt and Pepper to taste. Tip: Remember the stock and/or the drippings would have enough of salt. 
  7. You can also add the lemon juice for extra tang.
Serve with the Turkey Delight and Turkey Stuffing for that winning meal! Merry Christmas in advance...hope you have a falalalala... lalalala time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"