"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Sunday 24 February 2013

Banana French Toast with Cinnamon

I had requested my readers on G'Gina's Kitchenette's Facebook page to suggest what recipes they would like to view this week. By popular demand through FB messages, inbox message and others they have chosen Breakfast recipes. Thank you my valuable readers. I agree, as possibly the most challenging meal of the day would be the 'King of the Day' which is Breakfast. As you may know for health reasons and to be fit, Breakfast is normally treated as the King meal, Lunch the Prince and Dinner that of a Pauper. Also as you wake up from bed, it becomes so difficult to think of /create a King meal, simply because you are so busy running around getting ready for work or getting the family ready for work or school/college. I dedicate this week of Breakfast recipes to those hard working moms and dads responsible for plating up the most important meal of the day. To get to the next voting cycle, I would suggest you visit my facebook page on https://www.facebook.com/gginaflavorspalatte?ref=hl and hit 'Like' so you do not miss on the next choice of recipes.

Banana French Toast with Cinnamon is a recipe I came up with during this Lenten season when we follow a strictly vegetarian diet. Yes that means no eggs, no meat or fish until Easter. I was inspired this year to make a sacrifice for a very meaningful purpose for my family (including my extended families) and me. Here's hoping to greater months and years to come. The recipe I followed requires no eggs, however if you would like to include more protein in your diet, I would suggest you could add eggs whites to your recipe. I will make suggestions below in the ingredients list.

Banana French Toast with Cinnamon

You need:

  • 10 slices of wholewheat or multigrains bread
  • 1/2 cup milk of your choice
  • 6-8 plantains or 3-4 bananas mashed
  • 4 egg whites (*Optional - if you are using egg whites, then you could use 4-6 plantains or 2-3 bananas)
  • 2-3 tbsp honey or 1-2 tbsp sugar(powdered or granulated)
  • 1" stick of cinnamon powdered
  • 1 tbsp butter or 1-2 tbsp of cooking oil
  • 2-3 plantains or 1-2 bananas for topping (*Optional. You can also top with any other fruit of your choice)
  • Maple Syrup, Honey or Cream for topping (*Optional)


The make:
Serves 3 adults | Preparation Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 20 minutes (depends on your pan size or type)

1. Heat a non-stick pan and in the meantime add the mashed plantains, milk, honey, powdered cinnamon in a large bowl and whisk on high.

Whisked Ingredients

2. Add the butter/oil on the pan and allow the butter/oil to just melt or heat and not brown or over heat. Spread to butter/oil cover the pan on all sides.

3. Dip the bread slices on-by-one into the batter and place on the pan on medium-low heat. Cover the pan if required.
Tip: Remember not to overcrowd the pan as you need to flip it on the other side as well. Also do not over dip the bread slice in the batter as it may break in the batter or pan.

4. Allow to cook for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat until all the bread slices are used.

5. Top with fruit of your choice and maple syrup, honey or cream if required.

Additional Tip: For fitness freaks or those who simply do not want to use any butter or oil base, you can also bake the bread slices on butter paper for 4-5 minutes on each side in the oven.

Topped wiith fruit of your choice

Bon Appetit! Wish all of you who are celebrating Easter, a peaceful, meaningful and blessed Lenten season.



No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"