"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Thursday 28 February 2013

Puliogare Upma with Veggies (Tamarind Semolina with Veggies)

Puliogare powder is a tamarind based powder which is a creation of Chennai, Tamil Nadu of India. It is normally used with rice but as I mentioned in my previous post, it is becoming increasingly challenging to come up with new vegetarian recipes. Also, since I made this Puliogare powder more than a couple of weeks ago, I thought of putting it to good use.

Also this time, since I did not have much time in the morning and also because I was expecting a week long of eating what I cooked by myself, I made this version of Upma with the veggies I made the previous evening.

Puliogare Upma


You need:

For the Puliogare powder
  • 1 sprig Curry leaves, dry roasted and powdered
  • 1 tbsp Sesame seeds, roasted and powdered
  • 1 tbsp Tamarind paste or concentrate of 1 small lime ball sized tamarind
  • 5-6 tbsp Red chilli powder
  • 1 tbsp Jaggery, grated
  • 1 tbsp Black Pepper powder
  • 1/2 tsp Fenugreek powder
  • 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp chick peas, dry roasted and powdered
  • 1 tsp Blackgram, dry roasted and powdered
  • 1 tsp Musturd seeds, dry roasted and powdered
  • 1/4 cup roasted Peanuts (*Optional but tastes better)
  • 2 tbsp Desiccated coconut, dry roasted and powdered
  • 1 tbsp Coriander powder
  • Vegetable or refined coconut oil
  • 1/2 tsp Asafoetida Powder
  • Cumin Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Sugar
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
For the Upma
  • 1 cup roasted Semolina
  • 4 tbsp of cooked vegetable of your choice (mine had sauteed lady's finger and onions)
  • 1 large onion, chopped (*Optional in case your cooked vegetable does not contain onions)
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2-3 cups of water
  • 1 sprig of cilantro/coriander leaves, chopped finely (*Optional but advised)
The make:
    For the Puliogare:

    Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes | Makes about 150-200 gms

    Once all the ingredients that require roasting are dry roasted and powdered, its as simple as tossing all the ingredients in a large bowl, except the oil. Then add the warmed oil to preserve the powder in an airtight container for a month in a cool, dry place.


    For the Puliogare Upma

    Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes | Preparation Time: 10 minutes | Serves 2 adults

    1. Heat the oil in a wok or a deep bottomed non-stick skillet and add the Puliogare powder and cook on medium low for a minute.
      2. Add the onions (*optional) followed by the veg mix. Mix and leave to heat for a minute.
        3. Add the water and when it comes to a boil, do a seasoning taste and see if more salt is required.
          4. Next add the roasted semolina, a spoon at a time and keep stirring to avoid lumps as it absorbs the water.
            5. Once it absorbs the water, it will start to rise and start to cook. If it dries out too much, add more water. Lower the flame and allow it to cook for 2 minutes whilst continuing to stir as it may stick to the pan.
              6. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve hot as is or with your favourite chutney or pickle.
              Puliogare Upma served up!

              Bon Appetit!


              No comments:

              Post a Comment

              "I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

              Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

              In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

              Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

              Waiting to hear from you!"