"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Saturday 16 March 2013

Aloo Jeera (Potatoes with Cumin seeds)

Aloo Jeera, my very first attempt at this dish was well received by my husband and little one. I really enjoyed this simple dish as well. It is very comforting to have this one with Roti (Flatbread), Puris(Puffed Fried  Flatbread) or even Rice.

Aloo Jeera (Potatoes with Cumin seeds)


This is a kid-friendly recipe as it is not spicy but flavoursome.

You need:


  • 2 large potatoes, skinned and diced in cubes
  • 2 tsp of cumin seeds (or Jeera)
  • 1 tbsp of coriander powder
  • 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
  • 2 tbsp of cooking oil
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 sprig coriander leaves, diced finely
  • 2-4 tbsp of filtered water (*optional)


The make
Serves 2 adults | Preparation time: 5 minutes | Cooking Time: 20 minutes

1. Heat the oil on medium-high in a non-stick skillet and add the cumin seeds.

2. Once the cumin begins to splutter, lower the heat to medium-low and add the remaining ingredients except the coriander leaves and saute well.

3. If required, add some water if it gets to dry or sticks to the pan. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.

4. Uncover and check if the potatoes are cooked or if it requires any water and cook if required for another 5-10 minutes.

I did not add any water as I used a non-stick pan.

5. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with Roti (Indian flatbread), Puris (Puffed, fried Indian flatbread) or Rice.

Potatoes with Cumin seeds





No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"