"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Monday 15 April 2013

Cottage Cheese with Green Peas (Paneer Matar) - Hubby's Special!!

One night, on returning from work, Anup returned with groceries (though I clearly remembered I didn't ask for anything we needed) and announced that he decided to make us dinner. Of course we weren't told what it was until he wanted to know where I had stowed away some of the ground spices.

Paneer Matar
You need:


  • 500 gms cottage cheese (paneer), cut in cubes
  • 2 medium sized tomatoes, diced
  • 150 gms green peas, pre-cooked
  • 11/4 tbsp Garam Masala
  • 1/2 tbsp Red Chili powder
  • 2 green chilis, diced
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp cumin (jeera) seeds
  • 1 tbsp cooking oil
  • 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 sprig Coriander leaves, chopped (optional) 


The Make:
Serves 4 adults | Preparation Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes

1. Heat the oil a non-stick, deep-bottomed skillet. Add the cumin seeds and allow to lightly brown.

2. Saute the onions and when translucent, add the ginger-garlic paste.Allow to cook for a minute.

3. Next add in the green chilis and saute for half a minute.

4. Next, stir in the tomatoes and spices. Cover and cook for a minute.

5. Add the cottage cheese cubes and saute well, making sure not to break the cheese.

6. Next add in the cooked peas and cover for about 5 minutes.

All ingredients added in


7. Add the salt and top with coriander leaves.


Paneer Matar ready to be served

8. Serve hot with roti, naan, chapati or any other flatbread



Paneer Matar with Roti

Needless to stay we were pampered that night with a delicious dinner enjoyed both by our toddler and me. Special note to Bachelors: This is a very easy make and a must try! Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"