"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Thursday 1 August 2013

Hummus (Chick Peas dip)

I made Hummus from scratch after I got homesick one day. Well I decided to cook an Arabic meal. Have yet to try Arabic kebabs but I went for the roast chicken as option. This is the first part in my rustic Arabic meal. Anup's cousin and family were visiting Hyderabad so I thought what best than to serve them something from my hometown. For those of you who do not know me, no I am not Arab - very much Indian but I was born, raised and spent a good chunk of my years in Dubai, UAE. I miss home a lot...you cannot imagine! But before I get down and feel blue again (not that this weather is helping either), let me get this recipe across to you :)



Hummus is a very healthy dip unlike most of your dressings and dips you get out of a jar. If used with the right amount of EVOO, it should prove to be healthy. It is rather simple to make as well.



You need:

  • 2 cups of dry chick peas (cleaned and soaked overnight with a pinch of soda bicarbonate (optional) )
  • 1/2 cup of sesame seed paste (Tahini)
  • 3-4 medium sized garlic cloves, crushed to a paste
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • Salt and paprika/smoked paprika powder to taste
  • 2-3 tbsp of EVOO (Extra virgin olive oil) or Olive oil
  • 4 cups of drinking water
  • 1-2 tbsp Parsley leaves, chopped finely (optional)
  • Chopped olives - for garnishing (optional)


The Make

Preparation Time: Overnight + 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 15 minutes | Serves 4 adults

1. Drain the chickpeas and rinse well. Cook the chickpeas in water either in a covered pot or pressure cooker ( 2 whistles on high and 1 on low).
2. Drain most of the water used for cooking the chickpeas with a tad reserved for the grinding process to follow.
3. Reserve a few of the chickpeas for garnishing. Grind the chickpeas in either a food processor or blender until it forms a smooth paste (no lumps, else redo in batches).
4. Add the remaining ingredients and give it one last blend. Take all of the paste onto the serving plate.
5. Mix in the lemon juice and drizzle olive oil just before serving. If you add the lemon juice and olive oil prior the hummus will gain a bitter taste.


6. Garnish with chopped olives, parsley leaves (optional), reserved chick peas and a pinch of paprika.
7. Serve with warm pita bread / kuboos (Arabic flatbread) or manakish.



Hope you enjoy making and most importantly dipping into the hummus. For those of you that have not liked my Facebook page yet, I would like to inform you that G'Gina's Kitchenette has been nominated for the Indibloggers Awards 2013 in the food category:-). Please do visit the G'Gina's Kitchenette's Indibloggers Awards 2013 nomination page to vote by clicking on 'Recommend' and don't forget to leave a 'Comment' on what you like about G'Gina's Kitchenette and the recipe creations. G'Gina's Kitchenette is counting on your valuable vote and comments. This requires a facebook login by the way :-) Thanks whole heaps in advance.

2 comments:

  1. A very healthy dish. My family also love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nidhi. My family loves it too...and its super easy to make at home. Do let me know when you give it a try :)

      Delete

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"