"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Friday 18 October 2013

Beef Roast/Beef Dry Fry - Beef Ularthiyadu/Olaythiyadu - Hubby's Special!!

Anup made one of his mom's recipes for Beef Ularthiyadu which translates to Beef roast or Beef dry fry. He made this when Uncle Soman, Aunty Anne, Anu and Rohit visited our home on a weekend a couple of months ago. It was definitely amazing as we pretty much wiped the dish clean :)





I was only the helper this time just to get the spices ground or for the dicing and the clean up after. This is all him and his mum :) My MIL makes the best beef and cutlets by the way. Of course I love my mom's but they both are aces in their own way.





What you need:

  • 1 kg Beef, diced into cubes (washed and cleaned in 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder and 2 tbsp vinegar)
  • 1 coconut, sliced finely into squares
  • 2 onions, finely diced or 1 cup of red onions, chopped (red onions are preferred)
  • 1 sprig of curry leaves (washed in vinegar and turmeric and air dried)
  • Ginger-garlic (10 cloves of garlic and 2 tbsp of ginger - chopped finely)
  • 2 tbsps Coriander powder
  • 2 tbsp Chili powder
  • 1/2 tbsp Salt
  • 1 tbsp Garam Masala
  • 1-2 tsps of Pepper powder
  • 11/2 tbsp of cooking oil
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tbsp+ drinking water
The Make
Cooking Time: 1 hour | Preparation Time: 10 minutes | Serves 6-7

1. Drain the cleaned beef in a colander until all the water is completely drained.

2 . Meanwhile, fry the coconut in 1/2 tbsp of the oil till golden brown and add a pinch of turmeric. Set aside.

3. Add 1/2 tbsp of the oil to a wok and splutter the mustard seeds.

4. Add 1 of the diced onions and saute till golden brown. Then add the ginger and garlic and saute for a minute or until the garlic is slightly brown.

5. Make a paste with some water of some of the dry spices (11/2 tbsp of coriander powder, 11/2 tbsp of chili powder, 3/4 tbsp of Garam Masala and  1/2  tbsp of salt).

6. Add the masala paste to the wok and saute until the masala is cooked or leaves the sides of the wok.

7. Cook the raw beef with the prepared coconut, cooked masala and curry leaves in the pressure cooker for at least 45 minutes (5-6 whistles).

Tip: Make sure you have added enough water to cover half the beef content. It does not have to cover the entire beef content as this a dry fry.

8. In the wok, heat the remaining oil and saute the remaining diced onions till golden brown.

9. Next add in the remaining coriander powder, chili powder, garam masala and the pepper powder and cook the masala.

10. Lower heat to low and add in the cooked beef and fry till the residual water gets absorbed.

Serve hot with a flatbread of your choice - Paratha, chappatis or rotis, appam or rice.


Tip: You can subsitute with chicken or soya chunks. Soya chunks actually work really well with this recipe!

Bon Appetit!

10 comments:

  1. Will this recipe work with mutton as well? Would work like a mutton sukka?

    P.S The coconut goes in the masala right or will or be coconut pieces in the meat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pratibha yes you can try it with Mutton as well. The coconut could go into the pressure cooker while cooking the meat. These are coconut pieces. But if you want to grate the coconut then it could go into the masala in the last frying process before the meat is added to the wok, i.e. after step 9. and before step 10. Let me know it turns out!

      Delete
  2. Yumm!!! Believe me, I'm salivating here! Porotta and Beef form a classic combo, never mind the cholesterol :-)). I do eat beef but I'd like to try it out with soya chunks too. Pinning away!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fabida :) I agree...once in a while a little beef can't raise your cholestrol levels :) During lent we abstain from meat/non-vegetarian food so soya chunks is a welcome addition to this recipe. In fact initially you cannot make out the difference esp. if you are not paying attention and assume its beef :)

      Delete
  3. It definitely looks yum! And, food always tastes better when someone else cooks it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy.. thanks for the recipe Georgina... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to cook this beef roast. Haven;t really cooked beef much but I love this spicy version :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Sangeeta...do let me know how it goes. You can mail me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com :)

      Delete

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"