"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Saturday 17 January 2015

Comfy Beef Stew Soup

Still post the celebratory weeks of Christmas, New Year, weddings and more,coupled with a cool weather calls for more simple, warm, homemade comfort food. This one stems from such a moment in the recent past. Hope you can enjoy this bowl of comfy goodness with your family. Add some crusty bread loaf and you have a perfect meal! You can try this one with the Crunchy homemade soda bread recipe I posted yesterday.


For my vegetarian friends, please note you can substitute the beef with 200 gms of mushrooms and need only 20-30 minutes to cook this dish when cooked in the pressure cooker. You can also add beans of your choice about 100 gms.




You need:

  • 1/2 kg of fresh beef meat, cut into 1" cubes
  • 2 medium sized potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 2 medium sized carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced finely
  • 1 cup of tomato puree
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 tsp of pepper powder
  • 1/4 cup of plain flour
  • 2 cups of beef stock
  • 1/2 tbsp parsley leaves, finely diced 
  • Lime leaves or cilantro for garnish (optional)
  • Salt to taste
  • Drinking water as required
  • 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce (optional)
  • 1 cup of red wine (optional)
  • 1 cup of Guinness (optional)

The Make
Serves 4 adults | Preparation time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 45-60 minutes

Note: This recipe is best made in a slow cooker however if you do not have the time or a slow cooker, you could opt for the faster option as below. In a slow cooker, this recipe would require a minimum of 6 hours.



1. In a large pressure cooker, combine the beef, garlic, onions, potatoes, carrots and tomatoes. Saute on medium-low heat. 
2. Pour in the puree and season with Worcestershire (optional),bay leaf, parsley and pepper. 
3. Stir the flour and beef stock together in a separate bowl and add into the beef mix. Stir well. Add the optional Guinness and wine.
4. Cover and cook for 45 minutes or for 4 whistles on medium-high and 4 whistles on low heat.
5. Once the pressure has settled, uncover and do a salt check and add salt as required. Check also if you have sufficient liquid for your soup, else add more as required. Remove the bay leaf before serving. Garnish if required with cilantro or lime leaves.


Serve hot with a side of Crunchy Rosemary and honey soda bread ! Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"