"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Thursday 30 April 2015

Tangy Stuffed Bittergourd

I fell in love with this make of bitter gourd. I know there are lots of people out there who dislike bitter gourd. Some only like it dried, fried or fried crispy. I somehow have always liked bittergourd since childhood. I was the good daughter that my Mum had no issues with feeding veggies of all sorts.




I had tasted this make of bittergourd at our friends Binny and Vineet's home. Their maid had made this fabulous bittergourd and I believe we were on Lent that time so only vegetarian food. Binny shared this recipe with me last year and yes this was tried last year itself. Like I mentioned, I have a whole heap of archived vegetarian recipes for you friends and readers who have been asking me to post my veg. creations.

The health benefits of bitter gourd are plentiful some of which includes treating blood disorders, lowers sugar levels in blood and urine, improves energy and stamina, improved sleep patterns, is an immune booster and heals respiratory disorders to name a few.

This recipe is all too simple. Tomorrow being 'May Day', you may want to take it easy and make it simple in the kitchen.


You need:

  • 5-6 whole bittergourds
  • Salt to taste, some more to soak
  • 1/2 tsp of Turmeric powder
  • 1 tbsp Garam masala
  • 2 medium sized onions, finely chopped 
  • 2 Green chilies, finely sliced
  • 1 tbsp Dry Mango powder
  • 1/2 tbsp Coriander powder
  • 1/2 tbsp of pickle powder(optional)
  • Water to soak
  • 1 tbsp oil

The Make:
Serves 2 adults | Cooking Time : 10-15 minutes | Preparation time: 30 minutes

1. Slit the bitter gourd lengthwise on one side only. Soak in salt water for 30 mins and then squeeze so any bitterness goes away.
2. In a bowl, add all the other ingredients  and mix.
3. De-seed and clean the interior of the bitter gourd.
4. Stuff the bitter gourd shell taking care not to overstuff as the stuffing may spill out while cooking.
5. In a pan, heat the oil. Lower the flame and cover and shallow fry the bitter gourd.
6. After about 5 minutes flip the bitter gourd on another side.
7. Repeat after another 3-5 minutes and uncover and cook until softened for a few more minutes if required.

Serve hot with rotis/chapatis or rice.

I hope this recipe of bittergourd brings about a change to your taste of this miracle vegetable!




No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"