"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Wednesday 6 March 2013

Waffles with Poached Eggs


I know the first thing that may be on your mind would be how would I make Waffles without a Waffle iron? Well you do not need one! I am certainly happy that I invested in the George Foreman's  Lean Mean Fat Grilling Machine as I made one batch of my waffles on it and the other on a griddle pan (pan with embossed lines on it). Yes! You can make waffles with just a griddle pan. I will let you know how.
Waffles with Poached Eggs, Jelly and Honey


What you need is:

  • 1 cup flour (can be wholewheat or all purpose or plain flour)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk of your choice
  • 3-4 tbsp castor sugar or powdered sugar
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup oil or butter at room temperature (reserve some for brushing on the griddle)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • Pinch of nutmeg powder *Optional




The make:
Serves 4 adults | Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes | Preparation Time: 10-20 minutes

Getting the batter together
1. Combine all the dry ingredients in large bowl.
2. Next, in a separate bowl, whisk all the wet ingredients together.
3. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the large bowl containing the dry ingredients while whisking them together into a moist dough. Set aside and allow to stand for 10-15 minutes.
4. Heat your griddle pan or in my case the electric griddle for at least 5 minutes.
5. Brush your griddle with some oil/butter.
6. Place the batter dough on the griddle in the desired shape. Remember do not expect to get the waffle pockets but it tastes just the same. You can also use this recipe in case you have a waffle iron.
7. Top with jelly, maple syrup, fresh fruits, cream spread or whipped cream as per your choice.


Poached Egg whites
I have been asked many a time how to poach eggs. Well here goes. This one was made with egg whites only but you can poach eggs in whole with the yolk as well.

You need: 
  • 2 eggs
  • A small saucepan
  • A porous or slotted spoon
  • 4-5 cups of filtered water
  • Pinch of Salt
  • Pinch of Pepper

The Make:
Serves 2 adults | Cooking Time 4-5 minutes | Preparation Time: 2 minutes

1. Fill a small saucepan with water and bring to a rolling boil on high heat. Remember to add as much water as is required to cover the saucepan at least 2-3".
Waffles with Poached eggs and condiments

2. In the meantime while bringing the water to boil, separate the egg whites from the yolk and set the yolk aside to use later. Egg yolks make for a good hair mask. Just make sure you rinse it out well later or risk smelling eggy :)

3. Once the water has come to a rolling boil, lower the heat to simmer and gently pour the egg whites to the pan and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. If the whites separates and spreads in the pan, use a spoon to guide the eggwhites back together.

4. Remove the egg whites using the slotted/porous spoon and once the water is drained out place it on the serving plate.

5. Top with the salt and pepper.


Bon Appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"