"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Tuesday 9 February 2016

Swedish Polar Bread #BreadBakers

Whew! This was one challenge I will never forget. After the relocation last year, there are a few places I have learnt which sell baking items. My choice of Polar Bread would do well if there was Rye of any form either Light Rye or Dark Rye and this I learnt after my research in the last few days. This is the very first time that I have left my baking to the last minute. My dough is still proving as I type this. Thank God for time differences which makes me hopeful to post this recipe before 800 hrs EST.





Since I live in India now ingredients such as Quinoa, Rye, etc can be availed if ordered online earlier. Of course it has a steeper price owing to the import tax but all in the name of Baking. I was super busy with the family and myself since the last few weeks with weddings, engagement, School Cultural Fest, Karate assessment, etc. Oh by the way I now hold a colour belt in Karate (Shito ryu)...Hya!! Just got to know last evening.





I began my research on this bread late which gave me little room to notice the Rye or even think of looking for it. Lulu Mall here also has its presence in the Middle East and I foolishly thought I could avail the flour there. Unfortunately, Rye primarily grows in Eastern, Central and Northern Europe and its growth belt stretches from Northern Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Lithuania and Latvia into central and Northern Russia. It is also grown in North America, parts of South America, Oceania (Australia and New Zealand), Turkey, Kazakhstan and in Northern China.





I did find an online portal and a company that would have delivered the Rye if I had not waited till the last minute. Yesterday the one day I got free from all my personal commitments, I spent close to 4 hours++ in search of Rye. By the way I find it strange to say Rye so much as I have a school friend Ryan who I nicknamed Rye ..hahaha!

Polar Bread is a Scandinavian bread and it has very little information online. In fact, in Sweden I believe Polar Bread is known as Polarbröd which one site even claimed is the  brand name for Mjukkaka. Mjukkaka is the bread of Northern Sweden and literally translates to 'Softcake'. Polar bread probably derives its name from a company 'Polarbröd' founded in the 1800s and is a  family company with old traditions. You can read more about the origin of this bread here.

Coming back to my predicament of being a last minute baker for the first time for a blogging event, I still did not hold the Rye. My friends and neighbours of the community apartment complex I lived in gave me several options. One suggested I visit a store near by which led me to another branch where after almost reaching the store I was informed by the owner that it was unavailable at that branch and to drive back to a place closer to home. Unfortunately what I said was Rye and what he heard was Rice Flour! Oh gosh! So then on returning home began the research of what could be substituted instead of Rye and that brought in suggestions such as grounded brown rice, finger millet (Ragi), Red Rice powder (for the Dark Rye colour), buckwheat, etc. One of my neighbours Ritu suggested using the Rye flakes found in certain kinds of Muesli. Unfortunately even that type of Muesli is not found here locally. 

Rye is low in Glutenin and high in Gliadin. Of course the Mjukkaka requires some amount of white flour or bread flour. I finally succumbed to a combination of Finger Millet, Bread flour and Red Rice flour considering the darker Rye. Hope this works (remember my bread is still proving). Like Daddy said last night when I asked about Rye Flour availability in Dubai (he is on his break there) is to use what is locally available. I remembered how I used to resort to asking Mum whenever I was stuck in my cook or bake. I took it as her word and decided to go with what I have.

If you are using Rye, remember that you can alter the ratio of Rye to Bread flour keeping in mind that the total quantity should be equal to the recipe requirements. The more Rye you add, the denser the bread gets. I had taken an equal quantity of Bread Flour and Finger Millet with Red Rice flour. The only thing I would do now that my bread is all baked is to have a higher ratio of Bread Flour to Finger Millet and Red Rice (hence I have resorted to the original quantities in the recipe below). Also the next time I will try and make this with Rye Flour. In my haste I rolled out the bread a little thinner than the 1/4" thickness so it did not turn out to be as fluffy as I would have liked it. More reminded me of the darker brown Mediterranean flatbread 'Kuboos'. 

These are the ingredients that Polarbröd use to make their soft bread taken from this link. You may have to hit 'Translate this page' to read it in English : 

INGREDIENTS

Wheat flour, water, sifted rye flour (20,4%), syrup, sugar, wheat gluten , rape seed oil, sugar beet fiber, salt, fermented wheat flour, yeast, emulsifier (mono- and diglycerides of fatty acids, mono- and diglycerides of mono- and diacetyl tartaric acid), baking soda (antler salt), fruit sugar, malt flour ( barley ), flour treatment agent (ascorbic acid), enzyme.
Contains gluten. Milk free.

I am going to give you two options, one of my modified Finger Millet and Red Rice Flour additions and one with the original Rye flour. Please revert to the Rye flour for all available purposes, i.e. in case you have Rye flour where you stay at - use it! I do not want to change history at least not for now. 

You need:

  • 500 gms of plain flour or white bread flour
  • 60 gms of Rye flour (or in my case 20 gms of Red rice flour and 40 gms of Finger Millet)
  • 60 gms of Yoghurt (or you can also use Sour cream or Crème Fraiche)
  • 5 tsp sugar or honey
  • 2 tsp fennel seeds or anise seeds
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp dried yeast

The Make:

Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes | Proof time: 1 hr, 20 minutes | Cook time: Up to 6 minutes per soft bread | Makes at least 6 soft breads

1. First mix the sugar and yeast in the water and leave it to rest for 10 minutes.
2. Next add the flours, salt and seeds in a large bowl and mix well. 
3. Add the yeasted water and yoghurt to the flour mix and knead well to a sticky dough.
4. Continue kneading on a floured surface for about 10 minutes until smooth.
5. Place the kneaded dough in a lightly greased plate/bowl and leave it to prove in a warm place and double in size. This should take about 20 minutes.
6. Turn out the dough to a floured surface and knock the air out of the dough.
7. Divide the dough into equal sizes (6 numbers) and roll out each dough ball into a 1/4" thickness. Try to roll out perfect rounds and if not possible do your best.
8. Prick the rolled dough circle on both sides with a fork.
9. Next place the dough discs on a floured surface, cover and allow to rest for 40-60 minutes.
10. Preheat a griddle or in my case a cast iron flat pan or skillet or any other pan and place the dough discs onto the griddle on medium heat and cook each side for at least 2-3 minutes.

Serve warm with your favourite stuffing or dip. Bon Appetit! I love saving the best for last....

February's #BreadBakers event is 'Griddle Breads' hosted by Anshie Dhar of Spice Roots. She had openly themed the griddle breads to include anything from Rotis, crumpets, English muffins, etc. Thank you Anshie for choosing this theme. I was almost certain that I would back out after yesterday's fiasco but yaaay I made it in time! Here are some of the griddle breads from our Famous and Fabulous Bread Bakers' family...


February's Griddle Breads
BreadBakers 

 #BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.

If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.

32 comments:

  1. Georgina that's an interesting griddle bread. I understand your situation where so many ingredients are not available readily. It's worse here in Kenya.Some speciality shops in Nairobi stock imported things but are very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your achievement in Karate.......The bread you made with the ingredients available here is great , I too find it difficult to find few ingredients........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharanya :) Glad you liked the bread and thank you for empathising with me :)

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of this bread but it sounds delicious! I was so stressed out for you finding your ingredients! I'm glad tht you were able to bring us such a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. I was so stressed out about not making it in time. I hate to break a commitment so that's why the added stress. Glad you like the Swedish Polarbread recipe.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your color belt. Yay!! for making it this month with an interesting bread. I am sure it tastes great with the local ingredients. After all the Griddle breads were made with what was available locally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ansh! Yes it did taste good. Of course the batch right off the griddle tasted better than the one that slept till the evening from noon.

      Delete
  5. I have never heard of Swedish polar bread and was intrigued by the title. Thank you for all your research and time and effort in making this bread. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing a new to me bread recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime Cindy. Thanks for stopping by and glad you liked it!

      Delete
  7. All in the name of baking, right? Lol! I have been known to pay a premium for special ingredients! Nice substitution. Your bread looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yeah Karen. Hehe all in the name of Baking (I have all in the name of Love song playing in my head right now! :D ) Thank you whole heaps!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations Georgina for your determination and tenacity in making this wonderful bread and for your color belt in karate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely new bread Georgie!! Thanks to this group we learn about so many new breads! I am glad that you decided to substitute the rye flour with what you had in hand. Really no point chasing expensive ingredients when you may as well use something available locally and at a far affordable price!! Great determination you got girl!! Kudos to you and congrats on the coloured belt!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirs! So true although someday I hope to try Rye. Thanks again!

      Delete
  10. Admire ur perseverance, Georgina ! yes, baking essentials are available now in India, but I find them steeply priced ! this bread is an apt celebration on ur karate belt too :) congrats !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kalyani. That is true.. Pre-ordered well in advance making sure no delays owing to strikes, etc. Thank you!

      Delete
  11. Great job persevering in the name of bread! I love rye so will be trying that version :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy... let me know how it turns 😊

      Delete
  12. Great Gina, all your research and effort put into making this bread is wonderful. This bread is has turned out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you sure had to through a lot to get the ingredients Georgina. We take so many things for granted when we get them readily. Your Swedish Polar bread looks hearty and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pavani..I did too when I stayed in the Middle East. Initially it was quite frustrating not to be able to reach out to that all- familiar aisle in the supermarket. Thanks again.

      Delete
  14. Wow, Georgina! You get the prize for doing the most research and running around to find your ingredients! That can be maddening! Well done, for sure! And thanks for all the info on a bread I've never heard of before. I always learn a ton from the other Bread Bakers!

    Hope you enjoyed your "Ryan bread." =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenni..aww that sure sounds celebratory ☺️☺️😊..hahahahaha Ryan bread 😛

      Delete

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"