"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Wednesday 1 June 2016

Celebrating crossing 100,000 page views - Mango Soufflé #FoodieExtravaganza

G'Gina's Kitchenette has crossed another milestone and I am so thankful to all our readers. Reaching this milestone would never have been possible without my Good Lord and my constant inspiration Mummy.



So to celebrate this milestone, I would like to share my Mango Soufflé recipe as a part of our Foodie Extravaganza June event. I had a choice to either bake this soufflé or to use the normal double boiler method. I preferred the latter to allow the natural flavours of mango to appear. Not only did my little one like this soufflé, two of my friends (and neighbours) Divya and Ribu, did too. I missed on giving some to another friend and neighbour, so I may make this again this afternoon. In fact the talk of my making this soufflé was two-fold, one was as a part of the Foodie Extravaganza challenge and the other one is because there is a tradition that I follow from Mum. We never return an empty container back to anyone who offers us their food/delicacies. Ribu made this awesome fish curry for me to try and Divya offered me one of my many staples I used to regularly have in Hyderabad (Gongura Pickle). 








Mango season is almost coming to an end so I am frantically whipping up all that I can. So you can expect a fair bit of mango recipes to come. I would suggest you freeze all the mango pulp you can now.




I cannot make Soufflé without a bit of a chuckle. Prior to my wedding, I used to make Chocolate Soufflé a lot at home for my family and friends at Dubai. My bros-in-law used to tease me with the name Soufflé, pronouncing it as Sou-flee or Sou-fly, etc. :D which is why the chuckle!




I made this soufflé with both homegrown mangoes and home bred chicken eggs. 







The mint leaves are from a dear friend Elizabeth who is also my neighbour who grows them in her pretty little garden on her balcony. 






There are two ways to make this, one is with the egg yolks in a double boiler and egg whites whisked separately. 





The other way is to make it with the eggs whole and additional yolks and cook in a double boiler together. 





Since these eggs are from homebred chickens, I followed the first method this time.





You need:


  • 11/2 cups pureed mangoes
  • 2 cups chilled cream
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1.5 tbsp gelatine
  • 1.5 tbsp cold water
  • 3 eggs - whites and yolks separated
  • A double boiler (You can also use two sizes of pots or sauce pans)
  • 1/4 cup warm water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • Few mint leaves (as garnish) - optional
  • Mango cubes (as garnish)- optional
  • Castor sugar or powdered sugar (presentation) - optional


The Make:
Preparation time: 30-40 minutes | Cooking and setting time: 4-6 hours | Serves 4-6 

1. Place the separated egg yolks into a double boiler or in the smaller saucepan or pot and the egg whites into a clean glass bowl.
2. Soak the gelatine in the cold water for 30 minutes and then add 1/4 cup of warm water and stir to dissolve the gelatine.
3. Add the sugar to the yolks and whisk till light and creamy.
4. Next place the double boiler or the larger saucepan or pot containing water over low heat.
5. Add the pureed mangoes to the yolk mixture, stirring continuously. This makes the custard for the soufflé.
6. Add the soaked gelatine to the warm custard and stir till it reaches a smooth consistency.
7. Set aside from the heat and add lemon juice. Allow to cool till partially set. 
8. Beat egg whites to stiff peaks. 
9. Whisk the cream to a thick consistency. Set aside some cream for topping if desired and add in the rest of the cream to the custard in folding motions. Then add the egg whites till smooth.
10.  Add the castor sugar or powdered sugar in the surface of the slightly damp individual bowls. Pour in the custard into individual bowls and allow to set in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. 
11. Once set, top with cream, mint leaves or mangoes as desired.

Hope you enjoy this make. Do let me know how it turns out for you. And now for some of those exciting Midsummer Eve themed desserts:


Foodie Extravaganza badge (1)

 This month Laura of Baking in Pyjamas is hosting with the theme Midsummer. The challenge was to create a dessert of your choice which is Midsummer Eve themed, think any kind of summer fruit or an interpretation of what Midsummer means to you. Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you're a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board! Looking for our previous parties? Check them out HERE.  

12 comments:

  1. What a great recipe! I've always been intimidated by Soufflés. I will definitely try this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Camilla. It will be super easy I'm sure you can do it. Do let me know how it works out.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Georgina on your blogposts and on this wonderful dessert. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Wendy. This was a 'sweet' theme.

      Delete
  3. My parents have a mango tree in their backyard, I bet they'd love this dessert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren. Let me know if you make it for them. There is another version I attempted last night and plan on sharing it soon.

      Delete
  4. I love mango and sure this is delicious. Congratulations on the milestone too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Congrats on your 100,000 views on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks lovely, thanks for joining in this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. Thanks for hosting this lovely theme

      Delete

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"