"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Thursday 16 April 2015

Spicy, Tangy and Crispy Roasted Chicken

The last two weeks were super busy what with Easter, my little one's school annual day and my falling ill right after my little one fell ill. I actually had a very special recipe to share with you for Easter. I had failed to share it for Christmas 2014 (when it was actually made) or New Year 2015. I guess I just may share it before the next festive occasion. I also have a huge number of recipe creations archived and waiting to be shared with you. And yes my #vegetarian friends, I still have the whole heaps of recipes as promised to share with you that I tried over the 50 days of #Lent.  I thought of sharing this one first after the #Lent break. Trust you all have had a wonderful Easter celebration. School's out now so I hope I do get as much time with the blog as I had imagined!



I have no idea how time flies but it sure does! This recipe is inspired from one of my Mum's recipes of Crispy chicken (I will share the original recipe soon *fingers crossed*). I had started preparing the chicken quite late so you see there was a pinching into the chicken from the little one who could not resist to wait till I finished clicking pictures. Your home does get quite aromatic from this roast. 


To make this simple roast, 

You need:

  • 1 kg full chicken, skin-on (cleaned well)
  • 1/2 cup of plain yoghurt (curds)
  • 1 tbsp smoked Paprika powder
  • 1 tbsp of Cheddar Cheese powder
  • 1 tbsp of Garlic powder
  • 1 tbsp of Ginger powder
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 tomato, chopped and ground to a pulp
  • 1 tbsp dried parsley
  • Breadcrumbs
  • 1 cup of wheat flour
  • Oil for greasing

The Make:
Preparation Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: Up to 1 hour, 15 minutes| Serves 3-4 adults

Although I made a full roasted chicken, you could choose to cut the chicken in to large or medium pieces thereby reducing the cook time to 45 minutes to 1 hour.

1. Leave the cleaned chicken in a colander to drain off any excess water. Then pat dry with a kitchen towel.
2. Add all the ingredients except the breadcrumbs in a large, wide bowl (large enough to hold the whole chicken) and whisk to a batter.
3. Next carefully, bathe the chicken in the batter. Make sure to cover all the crevices of the chicken and the inner cavity as well. 
4. On a large walled plate, scatter the breadcrumbs. Next pick the battered chicken carefully, holding it over the bowl to allow any excess to drip back to the bowl. 
5. Carefully roll the chicken onto the breadcrumbs covering every crevice. You can also stuff the cavity with some aromatics such as lemon wedges or rosemary.
6. Preheat the oven to 180°CPlace the chicken onto a lightly greased baking tray (or a greased aluminium foil paper, although I prefer the former) and roast for 1 hour. Check intermittently through the oven window to ensure that there is no burning. This works well in case of an oven that lights both on the top and bottom. If not you may need to turn the chicken, breast side down after 30 minutes of roasting.
7. Serve hot with your favourite bread rolls, salad and in my case Hummus.
*Note: For kids, you may want to reduce the smoked paprika to 1/2 tbsp (although smoked paprika is not as spicy)



No comments:

Post a Comment

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"